- 200g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla essence
- 3 medium eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 300g icing sugar
- 2/3 tbsp milk
- Multi-coloured sprinkles/hundreds and thousands
- Preheat the oven to 160degrees and grease your preferred baking tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating into the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the vanilla essence and stir.
- Sieve the flour into the mixture and gently fold using a spatula or a metal spoon, making sure all of the flour has been incorporated.
- Transfer into the baking tray and gently shake to level the cake.
- Bake for 20/25 minutes until cooked, it should be springy to touch or you can use the skewer test (knife/skewer should come out clean).
- Once removed from the oven, cool in the tin for 15 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled make the icing by mixing the milk and icing sugar together. Add the milk a tablespoon at a time as you want really thick icing for this cake.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cake and decorate using sprinkles!
- You can eat this on its own but it’s amazing served with custard!
Top tip: you could use food colouring in the icing to really make your cake special and colour co-ordinated for any occasion!