*I never use a recipe for lasagne, it’s something I learnt whilst taking GCSE cooking and it’s what I did for my year 11 cooking exam that I got an A* in! I usually just guess the ingredients by eye and how the sauces look but I’ve tried to figure out the measurements for a recipe!*
Ingredients (serves 4)
- One large red onion
- 3/4 cloves of garlic (depending on size of cloves and taste preference)
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 500h mince beef
- 1x tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of high quality tomato paste
- lasagne sheets
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- Grated cheese to sprinkle on top, (+extra to put in the white sauce if you love cheese as much as I do!)
- Mixed Italian herbs/oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- mixed salad and/or garlic bread to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200degrees
- Chop the onion and garlic into small pieces and fry in a little olive oil on a medium heat until browned.
- Drain the excess oil from the pan and add the minced beef, fry until browned all over.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and 2tbsp of tomato paste and stir. Season with either Italian herbs or some oregano (my personal favourite is oregano) and salt and pepper. Keep tasting the meat sauce as you add the seasonings, it’s very hard to over season this so don’t be scared of putting lots of herbs in!
- Whilst the meat sauce simmers melt the butter in a separate sauce pan over a low heat.
- Add the flour and combine, cook for around 2 mins to cook out the flour. The mixture shouldn’t change colour.
- Take the butter and flour mixture (roux) off the heat.
- Add a splash of milk and combine using either a whisk or a fork until smooth, keep doing this a bit at a time until fully combined.
- Put the white sauce back on the heat (low to medium) and continually mix until it thickens. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Once the sauce is ready, season with herbs and salt and pepper. You can add some grated cheese to the sauce if you wish, I normally add a couple of handfuls and mix until it’s melted into the sauce.
- Layer the lasagne by placing a layer of the meat sauce, followed by lasagne sheets, followed by white sauce. Repeat until full, the final layer should be white sauce.
- Top with grated cheese and bake in the oven for around 25 minutes until the cheese has browned.
- Serve with a salad and/or garlic bread!